Our customers rate us


Google stars

Rated 4.7 on

Google logo

Internal Wall Insulation Grants for a Warmer Home

Internal wall insulation

Does your heating system have to be cranked up constantly to keep your home cosy or perhaps your home never truly gets warm? Are your poorly insulated walls failing to keep the indoor temperature at a consistently comfortable level? Maybe, you and your family would love a warmer home but are concerned about rising energy bills. 

In most poorly insulated UK homes, around 35% of heat loss is thought to be due to inadequate or non-existent wall insulation. If your home does not have wall cavities to fill with insulating material, internal wall insulation may be the option you need to keep your home warmer for longer and reduce your carbon footprint. 

The upfront installation costs of internal wall insulation can seem high and this is why you may want to consider applying for help in the form of a grant. There are various government schemes that provide free funding to households for insulation measures that boost home energy efficiency.

In this article, we’ll discuss the internal wall insulation grants provided under various  government-backed schemes for homes in the UK. We will also outline the specific energy-saving improvements covered by these grants and the eligibility criteria that you’ll need to meet to qualify under each one.

What Internal Wall Insulation Grants Are Available in the UK?

Insulation grants for your home are available through the UK government’s Help to Heat schemes, which aim to help households heat their homes, reduce carbon emissions, increase energy efficiency, and save money on utility bills.

You may be eligible for an internal wall insulation grant under the ECO4 Scheme, LA Flex Scheme, or the Great British Insulation Scheme. Depending on the scheme you apply for, funding may be provided through your installer, energy company, or the local authorities. 

ECO4 Scheme

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) provides grants for energy-saving improvements to homeowners, tenants renting from private landlords, and individuals who live in social housing. 

Under the ECO4 Scheme, you can get free or partially funded insulation work done on your internal walls, cavity walls, or loft, among others. This scheme is also applicable if you want to replace or repair your boiler or perform other upgrades to your home’s heating system.

Most grants will involve a free survey of your property before the improvements are installed. The ECO4 scheme may cover the full cost of the insulation or you may be asked to pay a small contribution, depending on the size and energy efficiency of your home.

Eligibility Criteria for ECO4

You may be eligible for an ECO4 grant if you live in private housing and you or someone living on the property receives income-related benefits or tax credits, such as Universal Credit, Child Benefit, or Income Support. Your household income should fall within the grant limits to qualify.

Eligibility criteria for homeowners include a house with an energy efficiency rating of D, E, F, or G. If you’re privately renting a property, your house needs to have an energy efficiency rating of E, F, or G. You’ll also need permission from the owner to get work done on the house.

For social housing tenants who live in a house with an energy efficiency rating of E, F, or G, you may qualify for support with insulation or heat system installation for the first time.

LA Flex Scheme

LA Flex, which stands for Local Authority Flexible Eligibility, is an extension of the government’s Energy Company Obligation or ECO4 Scheme. The purpose of LA Flex is to increase the number of UK households that can get access to heating, insulation, and energy grants.

This scheme can cover the cost of your insulation, heating systems such as boiler replacements and repairs, and renewable technologies, including solar panel and heat pump installations. Like ECO4, LA Flex is provided in partnership with your local energy suppliers.

The main difference between the two is that the ECO4 has stricter eligibility criteria, while LA Flex allows local councils to expand the criteria for energy-saving grants beyond household income and benefits, increasing your chances of becoming eligible for financial support. 

Eligibility Criteria for LA Flex

Your eligibility for a grant under the LA Flex Scheme will depend on your local council’s assessment as well as the energy-efficient measures that are being offered. Generally, funding under the LA Flex is intended for households that meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • Your combined gross annual household income is £30,000 and below
  • You are receiving Child Benefits
  • You or a person in your household has a vulnerable health condition or disease that requires additional heating, including pregnant mothers, the elderly, and children under 5

To apply for LA Flex funding, you’ll need to contact your local authority to find out what measures are available and to see if you’re eligible. You may be asked to provide information on your income, benefits, health conditions, energy bills, and the current state of your property.

Great British Insulation Scheme

The Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS), formerly known as ECO+, is one of the latest energy-saving initiatives launched by the UK government. It complements the ECO4 scheme and aims to provide financial support to the least energy-efficient homes in Great Britain so they can better insulate their homes.

Under this scheme, you may be able to get full or partial funding to cover any of the following:

Eligibility Criteria for the Great British Insulation Scheme

There are two sets of eligibility criteria for the GBIS: One for the general group and another for the low-income eligibility group. Note that these groups will get different levels of support.

You might be eligible for support under the general group if you’re a homeowner, landlord, or tenant whose home falls within Council Tax bands A-D in England or A-E in Scotland or Wales. Your home should also have an energy performance certificate (EPC) of D, E, F, or G.

To be eligible for the low-income eligibility group, you should be receiving means-tested benefits and live in a home with an EPC rating of D or below.

If you’d like to get funding under any of these schemes for your internal wall insulation, but aren’t sure if you’re eligible, get in touch with ZOA Eco Grants today. You can check your eligibility within 60 seconds, and our experts will answer any questions you might have.

Table of Contents